Constructed in 1847 as the Francestown Academy, a
private boarding school, the town assumed ownership of the building in 1945.
The building's first floor auditorium is currently used for public meetings
while the open second floor has been deemed structurally unsound for public
We are working with the Town of Francestown to formulate a preservation,
renovation and expansion plan for the building.
The first phase was to complete an architectural and structural inspection of
the building to better understand its architectural evolution and current
structural condition. Our inspection uncovered some serious roof structure
failures which the town is currently addressing. In the next phase we will
further investigate options for addressing further upgrades - accessibility,
egress, structural integrity, rest rooms and mechanical systems.
The concept under consideration is to design an addition near the southwest
corner of the building to provide a new accessible primary point of entry into
the building, address egress requirements, provide an elevator serving the first
and second floors, and provide restrooms. The addition would not deter from the
historic presence of the building on it prominent site in the village.