Historic

Francestown Town Hall

Francestown, NH

History
Built in 1847, Francestown’s Town Hall began as a civic and religious meeting place, and later became a prominent New England academy (1800-1921) that graduated the 14th President of the United States. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Assumption
Villages not only rely on community spaces for vital civic and social gatherings, but also for revenue generated by the renting of the space.

Approach
In 2012, the Town Hall was declared condemned. In order to restore this essential structure, a complete rehabilitation project was necessary. MPA designed a preservation plan that included foundation shoring, second floor structure replacement, ADA accessibility upgrades, and an addition to house an egress stair.

Alchemy
Today, Francestown’s Town Hall retains its quintessential New England charm while functioning as a safe and pleasant gathering place for Town Meeting, civic engagements, dances, concerts, and a host of private functions.

Click on image to view gallery

Click on image to view gallery

Jaffrey Meeting House

Jaffrey, NH

History
According to historians, the Jaffrey Meeting House was raised on June 17, 1775, the very day of the Battle of Bunker Hill, and sounds of cannonade could be heard by builders. A bell tower was added in 1822, complete with a bell cast by the Paul Revere Foundry. Considered Jaffrey’s “dearest treasure,” the Meeting House has long been the architectural pillar of this community. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Assumption
Jaffrey’s Meeting House is the pinnacle of its historic district and a source of great pride within the community. Revenue is generated through concerts, forums, and private rentals.

Approach
One of the few Meetinghouses in New Hampshire with a wood shingle roof, the MPA team designed and oversaw an historic wood shingle roof replacement. Recently, MPA was retained to complete a Historic Building Assessment which was used to obtain a NH LCHIP Historic Resource Grant to fund the tower rehabilitation – a project MPA is currently working on.

Alchemy
The ultimate outcome to this historic restoration is that the building retains its visual purity.

Whitcomb Hall

Swanzey, NH

History
Built in 1916 after being commissioned by a local industrialist, Whitcomb Hall served as a community gathering place until it was shuttered in 1988. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Assumption
The much-needed revitalization of this small village depends on revenue from private events, many of which can be accommodated within this village hall.

Approach
The historic wood frame of this building required a sprinkler system, an elevator, and code compliant means of egress. MPA also designed updated finishes including new lighting.

Alchemy
This historic building retains its original tin ceiling after repair and restoration, and the space now accommodates 175 people within its second floor auditorium.

Images will be here soon!

Click on image to view gallery

Click on image to view gallery

Brick House Roastery

Keene, NH

History
Built in the 1840s to house a mill manager and his family, this brick cape had become a vacant reminder of the city’s industrial past. Located on a main route into the city of Keene, its visibility lent itself to a curious transformation.

Assumption
Coffee roasting involves large machinery and dedicated space. Storage is an ongoing problem for urban roasters.

Approach
To historically repurpose this building, MPA saved the 1840’s architectural elements and added industrial touches within an energy-efficient framework. The basement and crumbling first floor joists were removed and replaced with a concrete slab with radiant heat. A damaged front façade was replaced with glass panels that operate as wide, ambient-light doorways and offer an ideal way to display the high-tech roasting process linking the building to its industrial past.

Alchemy
A decrepit building that caught the eye of dreamers and historians alike was masterfully recreated as a stunning visual invitation to the possibilities of urban renovation. The Brick House Roastery is a testament to the power of reuse, curb appeal, and utility.

Mont Vernon Town Hall

History
Incorporated in 1803, Mont Vernon still reflects traditional, New England living with historic buildings framing its community center.

Assumption
In order to repurpose this historic building to make room for consolidated town offices, a keen eye was needed to preserve as much as possible while transforming the space into a hub for town government.

Approach
An adaptive reuse plan was designed for the second floor that includes a mix of interior walls with windows within them, and full glass walls to the tray ceiling. The historic stage was glassed in to create a conference room.

Alchemy
Modern functionality pairs with historic charm in this quintessential New England town hall.

Images will be here soon!

Click on image to view gallery